Friday, January 18, 2013

Going Through the Valley

As I’m going through the Valley,
It seems to stretch for miles.
For as far as I can see,
This hard and wearisome trial.

Many tears stream down my face.
I feel helpless and alone.
Walking through this lowland place,
Fatigue has gripped my bones.

It takes all the strength I possess,
This trial I must work through.
Will I ever find peace or rest?
Without God, there's nothing I can do.

Sometimes, doubt clouds my mind,
Yet I struggle to take hold of truth.
These trials will keep me in line,
So I’ll trust in the God of my youth.


-- Charity Lacroix, age 14   

My daughter, Charity Lacroix says she has written this mostly for her brothers and sisters in Christ, who feel like they are going through a valley in life. It's based on a message I preached recently about our pilgrimage on earth as strangers, and this poem relates to that message.  She also wrote another related poem called, Strangers.

The Psalmist said, "How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, In whose heart are the highways to Zion! Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring; The early rain also covers it with blessings. They go from strength to strength, Every one of them appears before God in Zion."(Psa 84:5-7)

The Hebrew words in the sixth verse of this psalm can either be translated as, "The early rain also covers it with pools," or "The early rain also covers it with blessings."  I think that's because valleys are sometimes difficult places.  You can't see too far ahead, as you could on a mountain top.  There are shadows and sorrows, which can sometimes bring many tears.  Those tears can sometimes even become springs that cover the valley with pools.  But God collects those tears in a bottle in heaven.  He hears every cry.  And He turns those pools into blessings.

The trials that the Lord allows us to go through are for our spiritual growth and benefit.  Trust the Lord in the midst of the valley, because He has your best interests in mind.  And He is in control.  Keep your eyes on Jesus, and remember that we are not of this world.  We are strangers here on a journey toward our sacred goal, which is Zion, in the holy city, called the New Jerusalem. That's our real home!  Our names are already registered in the book there as citizens. 

As we make the valley a place of springs, and the Lord turns our trials into blessings, we can rejoice!  We are going from strength to strength, until one day when we appear before the Father's throne in glory.  Until then, as we seek His presence in our lives and yearn for His courts, we will continue to be transformed from glory to glory into His image, just as from the Lord, the Spirit. (2 Cor 3:18).  We go from strength to strength and glory to glory.

Len Lacroix

More of our children's poems:

Attribution notice: Scripture quotation taken from the NASB.

Author's note The poems in this blog were written by my children, ages seven through fourteen. The "Why This Blog" post explains how the Lord inspired these poems in answer to a prayer during illness. I also recommend visiting my children's blog, A Brush with Life, where you will also find beautiful art they have drawn for the glory of God.You can access my complete blog directory at "Writing for the Master."  The painting "My Son" © 2012 is by Danny Hahlbohm, all rights reserved by the artist. Now I'd like to ask a very important question.

Do You Want to Know Him?
If you want to know Jesus personally, you can. It all begins when you repent and believe in Jesus.  Do you know what God's Word, the Bible says?

“Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” (Mar 1:14b-15).  He preached that we must repent and believe.

Please see my explanation of this in my post called "Do You Want to Know Jesus?"
_________________________________________________

Len Lacroix is the founder of Doulos Missions International.  He was based in Eastern Europe for four years, making disciples, as well as helping leaders to be more effective at making disciples who multiply, developing leaders who multiply, with the ultimate goal of planting churches that multiply. His ministry is now based in the United States with the same goal of helping fulfill the Great Commission. www.dmiworld.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment